Transformers: The Movie debuted on August 8, 1986 and changed the franchise forever. In addition to thrusting the timeline forward from the 1980’s to 2005, it was the film that (spoiler alert) killed off the franchise’s core heroic character Optimus Prime!
Featuring a star-studded cast that included Judd Nelson, Eric Idle, Leonard Nimoy, and Orson Welles in his final role as the planet-eating titan Unicron, Transformers: The Movie was to be the first of a series of Hasbro/Sunbow films to hit theatres around the world. However, poor box office receipts of this and the My Little Pony film, caused Hasbro to shift the release of G.I. Joe: The Movie to home video instead.
In the intervening years, the film has garnered true cult status and has become a favorite of Hasbro, Transformers, and Sunbow fans around the globe! Plus, who can forget the soundtrack which featured song’s like Stan Bush’s “You’ve Got the Touch” and Weird Al Yankovic’s “Dare to be Stupid”?
This marks the first new region 1 release of the film since 2006’s 20th Anniversary edition and the first time the film has ever been offered on Blu-Ray. This also marks the first time that the film will be available in digital format. No word on what additional special features will be included at this time.
The new 30th Anniversary editions are currently up for pre-order at Amazon.com:
In my haste this morning to post the links to the complete Sunbow series sale I missed another bit of G.I. Joe animation that is on an ever deeper clearance– the DiC G.I. Joe series is also getting the close-out treatment. With low stock remaining, the two volumes of the second G.I. Joe animated series are 70% off. Continue reading →
Do you miss having the Sunbow G.I. Joe Complete Series on your favorite streaming service? Well, now you can pick up the classic animated cartoon saga for 50% off!
That’s right, it’s every single episode of the classic G.I. Joe Complete Series that ran from September 1983 to November 1986 in first-run syndication. All 95 episodes are presented in this single slim pack case collection; everything from Fatal Fluffies to Cold Slither to Excalibur to the window cleaning services of “The Viper.” Even better, it’s in a nice case that stores better than the previous footlocker edition. Continue reading →
The micro series debuted on Cartoon Network’s website back in 2009 as a series of 10 minute webisodes. Penned by writer Warren Ellis, Resolute took a decided darker tone with the G.I. Joe: A Real American Hero mythos that included the off-screen deaths of several core characters. It also featured what may be the first definitive animated footage of G.I. Joe characters using weapons that fired actual bullets! (Yes, I realize that there are shots in Sunbow that show shell casings but the weapon’s discharge is still indicated to be laser beams.)
G.I. Joe Resolute spawned a few action figures and then POOF! It was gone! Whatever the intent behind the project was it certainly wasn’t a long-term marketing push.
This isn’t entirely related to G.I. Joe but I just had to point out that the 50th anniversary installment in the James Bond franchise drops on DVD and Blu-Ray today. Why is this important to fans of America’s first action figure? Simple– the Bond franchise is the longest-running film series in history and has set the bar for so many elements of modern action cinema! From the use of practical effects and world record-breaking stunts to exotic locations and dynamic villains, the Bond films have entertained millions for the past 5 decades! Plus, the 007 series has had more than a “passing influence” on many aspects of G.I. Joe.
Years ago, a young Joe fan who happens to be writing this article was introduced to the world of 007 by his father, thanks to ABC’s frequent airing of the films on Sunday nights. As a kid, I was floored by the similarities between the early appearances of Cobra in both the Marvel Comics and the first Sunbow mini-series and the use of SPECTRE in the Sean Connery films. From the incredible lairs that evoked memories of the design of Ken Adams to the elaborate plots to disrupt the western world, Cobra was the kid-friendly version of a Bond villain. Heck, look at the Sears exclusive Missile Command Headquarters and you’ll see an homage to the volcano base in You Only Live Twice.
Regardless, the Bond films left a strong impression upon me and really have shaped my view of what makes for a good spy/action movie. It’ll be this bar that will be measured against when I watch G.I. Joe Retaliation in just a few weeks. Yes, the Bond movies have evolved over time– from the secret organizations of the 60’s, the near-parody of the 70’s, and all the way to the grim realism of the new Daniel Craig era. Like G.I. Joe, Bond is a product of his time reflecting the realities of the world in which he finds himself. He just happens to do it with style and flair. This past Christmas, my father surprised me with what has become my favorite gift in years – the Bond 50 Blu-Ray set. For days afterwards, I poured over the special features and the films like a relapsed dieter at the last Twinkie warehouse. The marketing department behind the set was clever, however. They left one empty tray in the box for the latest film in the franchise– a spot that will finally be filled tonight!
So, if you’re so inclined, run out today and snag a copy of Skyfall. Sit back in your favorite chair, pop in the disc and be prepared to watch 007 prove that “nobody does it better.” It’s a great way to relax and prepare for the arrival of G.I. Joe: Retaliation in just a few short weeks.
I’ll step off my soap box now and let you resume your regularly schedule G.I. Joe website. However, if you’re so inclined, here’s the trailer for Skyfall followed by the “mother of all Bond compilations” to watch. Enjoy!
Have you seen my wallet? After a few of the announcements in the “genre world” this weekend, it’s probably hiding under the couch in fear. Simply put– there are too many “geek products” hitting in the next few months for my mind and budget to comfortably process. Here’s a quick rundown:
1) The G.I. Joe Collector’s Club Figure Subscription Service. Yes, I wrote an editorial about this on Friday and have caught some flak as a result. For just under $300 + shipping, hard-core Joe fans can snag 12 exclusive paid figures and 1 free bonus figure that will only be available through the FSS. Places like BigBadToyStore.com have listed preorders for the figures at a logical markup which might be more cost effective for fans in the long run who aren’t interested in all 12 known figures and don’t want to have to take time to sell off the others on Ebay. Regardless, collectors are looking at $300+ easily for this set of items.
2) Star Trek The Original Series Soundtrack Collection. This is something I never thought I’d see released. The INSANE folks over at Lalaland Records are releasing a 15 CD set of EVERY note of music to appear in the classic 1960’s original Star Trek series. Yes, that’s right– every single note. However they’re also including the unused-by-recorded season 3 episode soundtracks as well! As a music and soundtrack nut, this is HUGE. Lalaland just got me for their incredible release of both Batman: The Animated Series vol 2 and The expanded score to The Phantom and now they throw this down? You are evil evil people. This will easily be $300.00 but well worth it for the HOURS of music.
3) Marvel Cinematic Universe Phase 1 Blu-Ray collection. Not nearly as bad but Marvel Studios is dropping their 10 disc set of Phase 1 of the Marvel Cinematic Universe including Iron Man, The Incredible Hulk, Iron Man 2, Thor, Captain American: The First Avenger, and (what may be the greatest comic movie ever made) The Avengers. Not only that but the set boasts new cool deco artwork for the DVD cases and a replica of the Cosmic Cube in one awesome box. Yeah… Amazon’s got it for around $140.00 but still it’ll add up.
4) IDW’s Complete G.I. Joe Collection. What happens when the current G.I. Joe comic publisher decides to release the entire Marvel Comic series in prestige edition hardcover format? This does— $50.00 300 page volumes that collect Larry Hama’s now LEGENDARY run on the series into one definitive format. Add in the mix that Joe scholar Mark Bellomo is point man on the project and these are sure to be the stuff of comic collector dreams. The irony is that I just got my copy of G.I. Joe: A Real American Hero vol 15 in the mail last week! Now it’s time to start all over again.
5) HALO 4: Legendary Edition. Hey! What does a video game have to do with G.I. Joe? Isn’t this a G.I. Joe website? Yes it is– now sit down and read! For many video game fans, HALO 4 quite possibly the most anticipated game release this year. (Call of Duty Black Ops 2 will give it a run for its money at retail.) The HALO saga is a rich story– filled with ancient races, timeless mystery, and more FPS action than fans can shake a joystick at! 343 Industry’s first installment of the new trilogy drops in November and the top edition of the game is going to set you back a cool $99.oo! It’s not as bad as previous Legendary editions but it’s still going to add up. However, the Covenant (and apparently the Forerunners) must pay!
6) New Marvel Universe! It’s been a long time since anyone could say that new Marvel Universe figures were hitting stores. Suddenly Toys R Us has 4newexclusivecomic packs, a new X-Factor 5 pack, and new casesof figures are finally hitting retailers! Just snagging individual pieces here and there is going to easily run a Marvel maniac over $150.00 total. (Heck the SDCC Masters of Evil was $30 and I shudder to think what the Super Helicarrier cost some folks.)
7) Regional G.I. Joe exclusives! I’d be remiss in my duties if I didn’t mention two awesome Joe shows that produce some great non-Hasbro manufactured exclusives. The Canadian Joe Con was this past weekend and fans who weren’t fortunate to be able to truck up north can still snag the 2012 Con set including 5 exclusive figures, 5 file cards, and a slick chromed vehicle for $200.00. These tend to go fast so don’t delay if you were debating adding these “Northern Neighbors” to your Joe collection.
2012 Canadian Joe Con Set
It doesn’t stop there, however… the crew at the Coil Club is rapidly preparing for Coil Con 2012 and has revealed images of Zilant, the exclusive Cobra Guerila fighter! With SLICK colors and a solid design, he’s likely to become a highly sought-after piece in the future.
Coil Con 2012 exclusive: Zilant, Cobra Guerilla Fighter
So, what does all of this mean for my wallet and the wallets of many? Some very hard choices coming up? Figures vs. action figures vs. video games? Heck, I’m not even factoring in two major life-changing purchases that I have to make in the next few months. This also doesn’t take into consideration recent Comic Con exclusive or G.I. Joe Collector’s Convention purchases– all of which add up to some SERIOUS dollars! Or, if you’re a DC/Masters of the Universe/Mattel fan then you’ve just been hit up with Club Infinite Earths, Club Eternia, and Club Black Freighter subscriptions! All-in-all it is both a good and a bad time to be a bit of a geek. Good in that there is a LOT out there right now but bad in the regard that most of my collecting friends and I aren’t independently wealthy!
Now, if only I could find a way to either get PAID to run the site or win the lottery. I’m open to suggestions.
Any other big “geek purchases” that I left out? Anyone?
Just a reminder in the midst of all of the pre-SDCC hype that G.I. Joe has a new DVD dropping tomorrow! Fans of the DiC animated series will soon be able to complete their collection as Shout Factory releases G.I. Joe Series 2, season 2 on July 10, 2012!
Let’s be honest– when compared to the Sunbow series, the DiC episodes of the 90’s left a lot to be desired. The plots in season 2 of the second series were– well, let’s just say that “Kindergarten Commandos” sums it all up. However, this series is also the only time that certain characters and character designs were ever featured in animation. Characters like Pathfinder, Metalhead, Salvo, Bullhorn, Iron Grenadier Destro, and even the Ninja Force all made their first and only appearances during DiC’s tenure. Plus, this volume has a short special feature with members of the Hasbro design team discussing their recollections of the series as well as the origin of the Python Patrol!
Check out this promo video for volume 1 and snag your copy at a local retailer tomorrow! (Just don’t walk around chanting “Brainy Bradley!” Seriously– not cool.)
Check out these recent reviews of the Season 2 release:
It’s about time that Joe fans had some good news! The good folks over at Shout Factory posted this announcement today posted over at TVShowsOnDVD.com:
Following the Season 1, Volume 1 release earlier this week, Shout! Factory has alerted retailers that G.I. Joe: Renegades – Season 1, Volume 2 is coming to DVD on September 25th. On the same day, Shout! will also release all of that content combined onto a single release in Blu-ray Disc format with G.I. Joe: Renegades – Season 1. The 2-disc DVD title is $19.93 SRP, and the high-def 3-disc BD version costs $49.97 SRP. . We have art below that for the DVD version, but we’re still waiting on the Blu artwork:
I for one would like to say: “WOO HOO!!!” While I didn’t have access to the series when it debuted on Hasbro’s HUB network, I was able to get caught up by “other means” and have recently concluded rewatching the entire series on Netflix via Xbox LIVE. Honestly, Renegades is one of THE best incarnations of Joe in any media and one that really deserved more support than it received from both Hasbro and the HUB.
Hopefully there will be some actual SPECIAL FEATURES on the Blu-Ray.
There hasn’t been a lot of exciting news for Joe fans lately but Shout Factory manages to have one bright spot for the immediate future and that is the release of the first volume of G.I. Joe: Renegades on DVD tomorrow! Netflix users have been enjoying the full series in HD for several weeks now but this marks the first official release of the series in any sort of “home video” format. Sadly, it’s a bare-bones release with no special features included on the discs. Still, it’s a good chance to enjoy this excellent short-lived series once again.
For Immediate Release
BRANDED AS RENEGADES FOR CRIMES THEY DIDN’T COMMIT, A GROUP
OF YOUNG HEROES IS FORCED TO TURN FUGITIVE AS THEY BATTLE
TO CLEAR THEIR NAMES AND EXPOSE THE EVIL THAT IS COBRA
G.I. JOE: RENEGADES
SEASON ONE, VOLUME 1
The First 13 Episodes from the First Season of Popular Animated
Series Produced by Hasbro Studios in a Collectible 2-DVD Set
OWN IT ON JUNE 5, 2012 FROM SHOUT! FACTORY
This summer, prepare to join the action and witness the emergence of the heroic G.I. JOE team as a cadre of highly-trained specialists who are forced to band together to prevent the nefarious COBRA from achieving world domination. On June 5, 2012, Shout! Factory, in collaboration with Hasbro Studios, will debut fan favorite animated series G.I. JOE: Renegades Season One, Volume 1 on DVD. Featuring the first 13 episodes from the first season, this collectible 2-DVD set is a must have for fans, kids and collectors and has a suggested retail price of $19.93. The initial product run of G.I. JOE: Renegades Season One, Volume 1 DVD set will include a Movie Cash offer to see the upcoming major motion picture G.I. JOE: Retaliation, in theaters June 29.
When a spy mission against Cobra Industries goes awry, a group of young G.I. JOE team members is forced to hit the road as fugitives. Now the team members – DUKE, SCARLETT, ROADBLOCK, TUNNEL RAT, RIPCORD, BREAKER and SNAKE EYES – must use their wits and elite training to prove their innocence to the world before being caught by the authorities, the COBRA organization or, worse yet, another elite military team called the Falcons.
With exciting, action-packed storytelling, spectacular animation, G.I. JOE Renegades, produced by Hasbro Studios, boasts an incredible voice cast, including Charlie Adler (Transformers: Revenge of the Fallen), Lee Majors (Six Million Dollar Man), Clancy Brown (Shawshank Redemption), Jason Marsden (Batman: The Brave and the Bold), Johnny Messner (Tears of the Sun) and Kevin Michael Richardson (The Batman).
G.I. JOE: RENEGADES – SEASON ONE, VOLUME 1 DVD set
Street Date: June 5, 2012
Running Time: +/- 5 hours
Aspect Ratio: Anamorphic widescreen (1.78:1)
Audio: English, Dolby Digital 5.1 and Dolby Digital Stereo
About Shout! Factory
Shout! Factory is a diversified entertainment company devoted to producing, uncovering and revitalizing the very best of pop culture. Founders Richard Foos, Bob Emmer and Garson Foos have spent their careers sharing their music, television and film faves with discerning consumers the world over. Shout! Factory’s DVD offerings serve up classic, contemporary and cult TV series, riveting sports programs, live music, animation and documentaries in lavish packages crammed with extras. The company’s audio catalogue boasts GRAMMY®-nominated boxed sets, new releases from storied artists, lovingly assembled album reissues and indispensable “best of” compilations. These riches are the result of a creative acquisitions mandate that has established the company as a hotbed of cultural preservation and commercial reinvention. Shout! Factory is based in Santa Monica, California. For more on Shout! Factory, visit shoutfactory.com.
From the good folks at Shout! Factory comes the news that the final volume of the DiC animated series will be available in July! That’s right– everyone can now own a legal copy of “Kindergarten Commandoes”… Brainy Bradley! Brainy Bradley!
Shout! Factory, in collaboration with Hasbro, will release the G.I. JOE: A Real American Hero Series 2, Season 2 on DVD. This highly collectible 3-DVD set contains all 20 episodes from the complete second season and insightful bonus content. A must have for fans, collectors and animation enthusiasts to complete their home entertainment collection of this animated series, G.I. JOE: A Real American Hero Series 2, Season 2 DVD set arrives in stores everywhere and is priced to own at $ 29.93 SRP.
The battle rolls on in the final season of G.I. JOE: A Real American Hero Series 2! GENERAL HAWK returns with his new team of G.I. JOE heroes, ready to take on any challenge by COBRA, a ruthless criminal organization out for world domination. And COBRA COMMANDER’s clearly left the toughest challenges for last! Does G.I. JOE have what it takes to stop them? The popular second season of this series from 1991 sees the return of fan favorite characters including Duke, Snake Eyes and Storm Shadow in adventures more exciting than ever!
Retrospective Featurette With The Hasbro Toy Team
G.I. JOE: A Real American Hero Series 2, Season 2
Street Date: July 10, 2012
Running Time: approx. +/- 7 hours
Video: Fullframe 1.33:1 – Preserving the aspect ration of its original broadcast
Audio: Original Mono