DC Universe animation...

Any discussion not related to G.I. Joe comics, movies, figures, etc goes here!

Re: DC Universe animation...

Postby brig » May 31st, 2017, 10:50 am

I wish they would continue the Timmverse, Justice League and JLI is my all time favorite tv show, not just cartoon, but tv show. On a side note, I am hearing great things about Wonder Woman, hopefully DC finally has a good movie, because I have hated the Superman and BvS movies and Justice League is looking terrible.
brig
Brigadier General

Postby Shinnobi » June 21st, 2017, 2:57 pm

i've seen Vixen and will do a quick review this week. Vacation and weddings have thrown a wrench in my schedule...for the better, of course :lol:
>>>--- SHiNNoBi ----l>
Shinnobi
Chief Warrant Officer

Postby Lt Storm » December 18th, 2017, 9:57 pm

Finally watched Batman and Harley Quinn...wow...just...wow. I don't mean that in a good way. Basically every thing good about the now classic and gold star of Batman animated shows is tossed out the window here. We're left with fart gags, suggestive puns, another off camera sex scene between characters, and the occasional curse word. The nice thing about Batman The Animated Series is that it didn't reduce itself to low brow gags like this movie did. It's sad that it now exists in the Animated Series Universe, really sad. The characters are so out of character, especially Batman, he's not the Batman from the Animated Series. He smiles too much and makes too many jokes. It would have been more suited if at the end Harley woke up and it was all a dream.

It's not all bad though, there are some decent scenes in the movie but this should have been put into the 66 era or a different universe all on its own. It's like it was trying to link itself to the current DC Rebirth Universe than the animated one. I did laugh at some of the scenes, the whole scene in the Batmobile, which is chronologically the wrong Batmobile, had me laughing. I wish I didn't laugh but it was funny. It also could have done without the overly long musical scenes, one was too many and two was too much.

I'd give this movie a 2 out of 5 batarangs, if it wasn't from the Animated Series Universe I might give it 3, but since it is, it's 2. I hope they do another Animated Universe movie, and leave out the low brow comedy and restore it to what it should be.
Lt Storm
Second Lieutenant

Postby Shinnobi » August 6th, 2018, 1:41 pm

Batman: Ninja

i was really looking forward to this and bought it on release. It was all over the place.

Understandably it's an import from an anime perspective so i expected some wild ideas but Batman: Ninja was all out bizarre. Bizarre not so much from the idea of Batman traveling to the feudal Japan but bizarre that Batman himself strayed far from his core character concept but many of the other character's abilities and personas too. AND THEN there was the Samurai Warriors game, Transformers, and even Power Rangers elements mixed in with Batman, his Bat family, and the Bat Rogues gallery as the key players.

Batman Gotham Knight was another previous Anime project but it stayed true to the core of the character of Batman and was enjoyable.

This, on the other hand, was not. While the story goes wildly aloof along with character faithfulness, the action was interesting and the new ensemble of voice actors weren't bad.

Overall, a rental for the curious and even a pass for some. One of my least favorites of my DC animated collection. Thumbs down.
>>>--- SHiNNoBi ----l>
Shinnobi
Chief Warrant Officer

Postby Lt Storm » August 13th, 2018, 8:34 pm

Yeah that was weird wasn't it. Lots of batzzaro stuff going on. It was just too crazy even for the key villain being the Joker. I did like Batman's expression when he ended up in ancient Japan, it was so a WTF expression. I'm glad they didn't stick in any awkward bat-sex scenes.

I bought Death of Superman, that was good. Never read the actual comic but I did read the Reign. It did feel like they were trying to cram in a lot of character development for Superman's supporting characters. I think it would have been better if they lead up to this even in the other movies.

I like that they are trying to keep some of the animated movies in the same universe and adapt classic stories.
Lt Storm
Second Lieutenant

Postby Goldbug » August 13th, 2018, 8:57 pm

I'm looking forward to the Reign of Supermen.
Lots of famous voice actors in it. The guy who plays Black Lightning is voicing John Henry Irons Steel.
Goldbug
Brigadier General

Postby Lt Storm » September 10th, 2018, 5:38 pm

Picked up Freedom Fighters The Ray which is a tie in to the DC television universe. It wasn't bad but felt like it dragged in parts. Really disappointed that not all the actors voiced their own characters, made this animated feature seem like it is out of continuity with the show. Also, the origin of Earth 1 Ray...yeah wasn't feeling it. I like his actual origin.
Lt Storm
Second Lieutenant

Previous

Return to Off Topic Lounge