25th Anniversary Body Construction

From 1982 - 1994, G.I. Joe: A Real American Hero dominated store shelves around the world. This is the place to discuss all toylines related to the ARAH brand.

25th Anniversary Body Construction

Postby ATC-Mike » July 26th, 2017, 10:48 am

I know this has probably been discussed somewhere already, but I just tried to pop a glove hand off a 25th Anniversary figure and the whole forearm came off at the elbow. There was a break in the circle joint in the elbow where the forearm was attached. Do all circle joints have a break in them for the two pieces to fit together, or did I break mine pulling on it? Does that make sense? I'm assuming they all have a break otherwise how would they have pieced the figure together in the first place?
ATC-Mike
Private

Re: 25th Anniversary Body Construction

Postby Lt Storm » July 26th, 2017, 2:29 pm

You're lucky the glove didn't break off, that's happened to me a few times. If there is a break it's not supposed to be there, unless you are talking about a seam, a lot of figures will have seams in spots where molds were put together. I found a trick online before that helps in popping out hands, forearms, and feet from the modern figures. Soak the joint in hot water but be careful you don't want to deform your figure. This will soften up the plastic and allow you to pop out the "push in" joints much easier.
Lt Storm
Warrant Officer

Postby ATC-Mike » July 26th, 2017, 2:45 pm

Lt Storm wrote:You're lucky the glove didn't break off, that's happened to me a few times. If there is a break it's not supposed to be there, unless you are talking about a seam, a lot of figures will have seams in spots where molds were put together. I found a trick online before that helps in popping out hands, forearms, and feet from the modern figures. Soak the joint in hot water but be careful you don't want to deform your figure. This will soften up the plastic and allow you to pop out the "push in" joints much easier.

Yeah, normally I do the boil-and-pop thing but this time I was being lazy. It looked like it was about ready to let go. I'm thinking maybe it's an intentional seem. I put the arm back together and it seems fine. So crisis averted!
ATC-Mike
Private

Postby Goldbug » July 26th, 2017, 6:34 pm

I like using a hair dryer so I don't get anything wet.
Goldbug
Brigadier General

Postby brig » July 27th, 2017, 8:39 am

I do both usually whichever I am closest to. I pulled the hand off the tap of my 25th Flint and lesson was learned at that point.
brig
Brigadier General

Postby Shinnobi » July 27th, 2017, 11:56 am

ATC-Mike wrote:Yeah, normally I do the boil-and-pop thing but this time I was being lazy. It looked like it was about ready to let go. I'm thinking maybe it's an intentional seem. I put the arm back together and it seems fine. So crisis averted!

Glad to hear it popped back in fine. There have been a few times, i was lazy and didn't bother with boil or blowdryer methods. Fortunately each time resolved well though i'm sure i've stretched some plastic along the way. Now, i'm more conscious and even if it looks it will get way easily, i still resort to either boil or blowdryer.
>>>--- SHiNNoBi ----l>
Shinnobi
Chief Warrant Officer

Return to Checkpoint Alpha - 1:18 Discussion