Minimum Standards for Loose Vintage Figures and Vehicles

From 1982 - 1994, G.I. Joe: A Real American Hero dominated store shelves around the world. This is the place to discuss all toylines related to the ARAH brand.

Minimum Standards for Loose Vintage Figures and Vehicles

Postby ATC-Mike » June 6th, 2017, 8:39 pm

So here's another question for the group. My 25th Anniversary collection is pretty much up-to-date except for a few club exclusives, at least in terms of what I actually want. So now I'm looking at filling in gaps with more vintage original pieces. I think it's fair to say that a lot of vintage GI Joe stuff is pretty easy to find, and you can usually get it pretty cheap, but the condition isn't always great. So what are everybody's minimum standards for picking up loose Joes and vehicles?
Last edited by ATC-Mike on June 7th, 2017, 4:55 pm, edited 2 times in total.
ATC-Mike
Private

Re: Minimum Standards for Loose Vintage Figures and Vehicles

Postby Shinnobi » June 6th, 2017, 11:22 pm

i've gone to a few flea markets and toy exchanges, but my recent place for collecting vintage pieces has been the secondary markets like eBay or Amazon.

As far as standards go, it depends on the piece. Largely, i'll go on actual inspection for relatively tight joints, good paint jobs, complete accessories & filecards/blueprints, sticker conditon (missing a few "no step"s is acceptable :lol: ), & overall condition (smoke or mildew odors are deal breakers). As for the secondary markets, i'll look at the pics closely, read the item description, and sometimes ask specific questions if the item condition is questionable.

like other 80's toys, collecting the item with filecards/accessories/blueprints completes the tangible nostalgia for me.
>>>--- SHiNNoBi ----l>
Shinnobi
Chief Warrant Officer

Postby brig » June 6th, 2017, 11:57 pm

I will buy stuff in decent condition but it doesn't have to be mint a good cleaning and a visit to Cobra Stickers can fix that. I have a few Terror Dromes that I bought that are completely yellowed and incomplete..I bought them that way to fix up in different color schemes.

I am opposite of Shinobi in that I don't need the file cards or blueprints, I just want the figures and vehicles in decent condition and mostly complete. Other stuff I will take to fix up or what not.
brig
Brigadier General

Postby Shinnobi » June 9th, 2017, 9:26 pm

Yeah, i'm a bit of a completist in terms of back-collecting vintage stuff. Space is limited after decades of collecting and raising a family so for the most part i don't have doubles. Filecards and blueprints were the bomb to me as a child. Not only were Joes better articulated and more relatable than Star Wars or other 3.75 inch figures back then, those filecards set them universes apart from just collecting a piece of plastic. It gave each figure, each character, even the army-building no-named soldiers, a unique soul that made me believe each one was invincible & indispensible for their team's advantage. Who didn't want an F-14 Tomcat after watching Top Gun? i had the blueprints taped to my dresser growing up, complete with some of my crayon scribbling and some stickers to boot.

Truth be told, my collection at one point had higher standards. i held on to many of the actual individual figure cardbacks and most of the vintage vehicle boxes up until 5 years ago. i loved the character/vehicle artwork of the packages and cardbacks. Such pictures added to that visceral nostaglia.
>>>--- SHiNNoBi ----l>
Shinnobi
Chief Warrant Officer

Return to Checkpoint Alpha - 1:18 Discussion