Kre-O 2015-2016 - Still afloat or reef fodder?

Talk about the G.I. Joe-themed construction figures in this forum.

Kre-O 2015-2016 - Still afloat or reef fodder?

Postby sinchicken » April 20th, 2015, 5:30 pm

Hey guys,

I guess by now, most of you have read or watched some of the announcements from JoeCon.

I wanted to dissect the Kre-O parts with you all.

Listening to the Hasbro panel, there wasn't any specific items or products announced but I think there are a few reasons to be optimistic.

First off, they mentioned a "larger scale piece" coming up for SDCC. I was hoping for a multiple figure set like they did for Transformers but by using the words "scale piece" it would seem like they are planning a large buildable item (probably with a few figures). So, what could it be?

1. USS Flagg (I know that I'm dreaming but it fits the "larger scale" criteria.)
2. The original headquarters. (We haven't seen a proper HQ for the Joes yet.)
3. Whale vs Moray (Wishful thinking but the two together would definitely be a large item and it would keep up the pattern of Joe vehicle vs Cobra vehicle.
4. Cobra carrier craft. (From way out in left field, the massive Cobra air ship from the cartoon. It never hurts to dream.)
5. Destro’s Castle. (It would be especially nice if it has some transforming features as shown in the comics.

I am optimistic because the Hasbro reps described Kre-O as a “very important initiative” with a “long term future”. They mentioned that plans already include a “couple of great waves of figures and some other sets” and “Kre-O will have a big part of G.I. Joe 3”. So, it seems there are plans for at least some more product similar to what we have seen but they don’t have any news or release info because the still need to “find a retail partner” and that “any more news on new Kre-O sets or new waves of blind bags will be tied to whoever is going to distribute those”.

We know that TRU has been putting all Kre-O products on clearance so it looks like they’re out. Some of the other stores that sold Transformers sets seemed to sit on them for a long time just to end up with clearance items. That makes me wonder if the large chain stores decide not to touch it, would someone like BBTS would step up and commit?

I know the convention Kre-O sets were a small number compared to wide retail items but I hope someone noticed how fast they sold out. If they go to someone like BBTS, I wonder if it would be better to skip the blind bag option and sell them individually or in sets. For me, sets of individual characters and sets of troop builders would be preferred.

This was long winded, but it was nice to see a glimmer of hope on these guys. Let me know what you think.
sinchicken
Greenshirt

Re: Kre-O 2015-2016 - Still afloat or reef fodder?

Postby Dusty Ayers » April 21st, 2015, 8:59 pm

I don't think a Kreo Flagg is out of the question but it would be expensive. An HQ could work as well. I'm a little surprised that Hasbro thinks they can find someone else to carry Kreo when TRU turned them down.
Dusty Ayers
Major

Re: Kre-O 2015-2016 - Still afloat or reef fodder?

Postby ndviper » April 25th, 2015, 9:20 am

Dusty Ayers wrote:I don't think a Kreo Flagg is out of the question but it would be expensive. An HQ could work as well. I'm a little surprised that Hasbro thinks they can find someone else to carry Kreo when TRU turned them down.

In total agreement with the bold. If they can't get TRU to commit to the line who else is there? I don't really see online only as a viable option to push the brand. But who knows.
ndviper
First Sergeant

Return to Yo Kre-O!!!